So without further ado, I present,
1. Where did you begin 2008?
In Ottawa. I was at the New Year's party thrown by SteveB and Kathy every year, and I had a really good time.
2. Was 2008 a good year for you?
I would say not. Too much time spent in hospitals and with doctors.
3. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Learning the Japanese language for my work. Managing not to screw up my goddaughter's head too much, and hopefully teaching her some values.
4. What was your biggest failure?
Not being able to keep to a food plan and lifestyle change as much as I wanted to.
5. What was your status by Valentines Day?
6. Compared to this time last year are you:
a) Fatter or thinner? Around the same, but I wish I had lost more weight.
b) Happier or sadder? Sadder.
c) Richer or poorer? Much poorer. Some of the money expenditures (house repairs, laptop, and some other stuff) caught me by surprise.
7. Were you in school anytime this year?
Nope. Technically I was taking additional language courses for my job, but they didn't involve going to a school per se.
8. Did you have to go to the hospital?
Yes. Back in January, I thought I was having a heart attack and went to the hospital. That one had something to do with the Actos, one of the diabetes meds I was taking. The second time was in early December when I had abdominal pains and stomach problems and it was really bad enough that I caved in and went to the hospital.
9. Did you have any encounters with the police?
Nope, thank Goddess.
10. Where did you go on vacation?
I didn't go anywhere on vacation. While I went to GenCon Indy this year, that doesn't count as a vacation really.
11. What did you purchase that was over $100?
I purchased my Dell laptop. Worth every cent that I spent on it.
12. Did you know anybody who got married?
13. Did you know anybody who passed away?
Several people I know passed away this year, but no direct family members.
14. Did you move anywhere?
Nope, I continue to live in the condo townhouse that I am in and have been for the last many years.
15. What sporting events did you attend?
I went to one Ottawa Senators game early in the season. They lost. That's all I remember about it.
16. What concerts/shows did you go to?
I managed to go and see Sylvain Cossette, Eagle & Hawk, Suzie McNeil, Jordan Croucher, and Swing for the Canada Day. Not a lot of other shows I wanted to see in the area this year. Sad.
17. Describe your birthday.
I had a pretty good time this year, but nothing unusual. I went with Kathy, SteveB, and friends to The Keg restaurant, and had a good meal and hung out with folks. No real birthday presents to speak of.
18. What is the ONE thing you thought you would not do, but did, in 2008?
I didn't think that I was going to go to GenCon in Indianapolis this year, but I did go anyway.
19. What have been your favourite moments?
Meeting several of the folks from Exile Games and my HEXfriends at GenCon. A terrific meal with two of my friends at the Spaghetti Factory while down there. Finally getting a copy of the 2008 Thea Gilmore CD. Going to see The Golden Compass with my goddaughter, and seeing the movie through her eyes. A couple of other things that I'm not going to talk about.
20. What was your favorite moment of the year?
My favourite moment of the year was getting a birthday kiss from someone whom I have really wanted to kiss for years. No names here. :)
21. What was your least favorite moment of the year?
Being in the hospital after having a cardiac event of some sort. It wasn't really as serious as I thought I was, but it scared me half to death.
22. Any new additions to your family?
23. What was your best month?
July and August, for the most part.
24. What date in 2008 will remain etched in your memory?
January 7th, the day I spent in the hospital after having a couple of cardiac events. January 24th, when I learned that SteveB had had another heart attack. July 3rd, my birthday. The Keg. A couple of other days that I don't want to talk about.
25. Who has been your best drinking buddy?
Nobody. I don't don't drink alcohol these days. Well, other than the Bailey's Irish Cream that I had on my birthday. :)
26. Made new friends?
Yep, I've made a couple of new friends this year. Carolyn G. is a new friend pertaining to film noir. oni_neko is someone whom I knew from LJ and had met at CanGames, but is now someone that I have seen in a more social context, and consider a friend. Probably a couple of other folks that I can't think of right now.
27. Favourite night out?
Going to The Keg on my birthday. A Chinese meal with my friend Donald and his wife.
28. Other than home, where did you spend most of your time?
Work and doctors offices, unfortunately. That refers to the latter, of course. :(
29. What songs will always remind you of 2008?
Thea Gilmore's Liejacker CD, lots of Jethro Tull.
30. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I wish I could have travelled a bit more. I also wish I had written more fiction and scenarios for rpgs.
31. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Stressed out less. Eating food that is bad for me.
32. Have you lost any friends this year?
I don't believe so.
33. Change your hairstyle?
Nope. Still balding, and getting balder.
34. Have any car accidents?
35. How old did you turn this year?
36. Do you have a New Years resolution?
Oh, yes, definitely. I have a couple that I have made for this coming year. Hopefully I can keep them.
37. What countries did you visit?
I went to the United States, and Indianapolis, for GenCon Indy.
38. Do anything embarrassing?
Other than being prone to stupid accidents this year? Nah...
39. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Society in general. Sean Avery and several politicians who shall remain nameless in particular.
40. Where did most of your money go?
Buying music CDs, films noir, and some game products at GenCon.
41. Buy anything from eBay?
Not a thing.
42. Get married or divorced?
Not that I know of. :)
43. Get hit on?
Yes. However, I'm not going to share any more details on this stuff.
44. Been snowboarding?
45. Did you get sick this year?
Nothing major in terms of illness, but a couple of colds here and there.
46. Are you happy to see 2008 go?
Damn right I am. From the pov of the year of diabetes related stuff this year, definitely want to see the end of the year, but I'm also looking forward to a new year and a clean slate, so to speak.
47. Been naughty or nice?
48. How will you be spending Christmas?
Next Christmas? No idea. Probably on my own, and then dinner with friends. But who knows what the year will bring, so can't predict the end of the year.
49. Which LJ users did you meet for the first time?
Well, I met waiwode, robin_d_laws, simonrogers, and aeforge for the first time, and several other folks as well that I can't remember. Just happy to have met some of the folks I did meet.
50. Did you fall in love in 2008?
51. How many one night stands?
Definitely not. Not really me.
52. What was your favorite TV show?
Tough question. Nothing really comes to mind.
53. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I try not to hate people, as that's a very negative emotion, although there are a few people I dislike or who drive me crazy. Takes too much energy to hate someone, and not worth the time and effort.
54. What was/were the best books you read?
City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer, The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, and The Clan Corporate by Charles Stross.
55. What was your greatest musical discovery?
No real great musical discoveries this year. :(
56. What was your favourite film this year?
The Golden Compass.
57. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Business suits for work, t-shirts and slacks for home.
58. What kept you sane?
My friends, the music of Jethro Tull, and films noir.
59. Which celebrity did you fancy the most?
Hmm, tough one... Joan Bennett and Lizabeth Scott for sure, and Suzie McNeil, I guess.
60. Which political issue stirred you the most?
The American election came in second behind the various political situations here in Canada with Stephen Harper and Stephane Dion.
61. Did you treat somebody badly in 2008?
I hope not, but there are times when I'm not a nice person.
62. Did somebody treat you badly in 2008?
Not gonna answer this one.
63. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned this year.
Be careful about karma. It has a way of coming around.
64. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"And your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick" - Jethro Tull, Thick as a Brick
65. What are your plans for 2009?
Trying to eat healthy, lose some weight, and keep my diabetes under control. Do a bit more fiction writing. Get a new bed (don't ask). Try to run a roleplaying game for a 3- to 6-month period of time. Not stress out so much.
66. What are you looking forward to most in 2009?
The Watchmen movie, trying to be a bit healthier, and keeping the diabetes under control. Maybe a new Thea Gilmore CD. Picking up a few more films noir to watch.
As you can see, that was quite a long set of questions and answers. But a good indication of the basics of how 2008 was. Looking forward to 2009, for sure! :)