So without further ado, I present,
1. Where did you begin 2009?
Still in Ottawa. Nothing wrong with that. I like the city (most of the time). I was invited to the New Year's party thrown by SteveB and Kathy every year, but I couldn't go this year. The broken toes and the fact that I can't see very well still out of one eye still made it difficult, especially with the snow storm out there last night.
2. Was 2009 a good year for you?
I don't think it was. Too much stress, too many accidents, too many bad things happened to me this year, and too much time spent at doctors' offices or in hospital waiting rooms.
3. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I learned the Greek language this year, as part of my job. I also hope I managed not to screw up my goddaughter's head too much, and hopefully teaching her some values.
4. What was your biggest failure?
Not being able to stay healthy this year, and completely losing control of the lifestyle I wanted to lead this year.
5. What was your status by Valentines Day?
6. Compared to this time last year are you:
a) Fatter or thinner? I've gained about 5 lbs. this year. Bad eating, living in a hotel for 2 months, and health problems that prevented me from exercising all contributed to that.
b) Happier or sadder? Definitely sadder.
c) Richer or poorer? Much poorer. While the year might have turned out financially good, the end of the year saw the disaster at the house with the sewage flood, and repairs that ran quite a bit of money out of my own pocket (despite the insurance policies and all).
7. Were you in school anytime this year?
Nope. Technically I was taking additional language courses for my job, but they didn't involve going to a school per se.
8. Did you have to go to the hospital?
Yes. Problems with my prostate, and taking an ice chip while cleaning off the car in the eye and then falling down and breaking my toes necessitated several trips to the hospital this year. Unfortunately.
9. Did you have any encounters with the police?
Nope, thank Goddess.
10. Where did you go on vacation?
I didn't go anywhere on vacation. I did go to the Draconis gaming convention in Montreal this year, but that definitely turned out to be anything but a vacation.
11. What did you purchase that was over $100?
Haha. Too many purchases to count. A lot of them were things to replace stuff that I lost in the mess at the house, but there were also way too many Doctor Who DVDs bought this year. :)
12. Did you know anybody who got married?
13. Did you know anybody who passed away?
Several people I know passed away this year, but no direct family members.
14. Did you move anywhere?
Nope, I continue to live in the condo townhouse that I am in and have been for the last 14 years. Other than having to move into a hotel for two months due to a sewage flood.
15. What sporting events did you attend?
I didn't got to see any sports events this year. Sadly.
16. What concerts/shows did you go to?
Went to a few concerts, more than I thought actually. During the Canada Day period, I went and saw Coeur de Pirate, and that was pretty enjoyable. During the Ottawa Bluesfest, I went and caught Amanda Rheaume, Jeff Beck, Loreena McKennitt, and part of Brian Setzer Orchestra show.
17. Describe your birthday.
Rather than describe my birthday here, I refer you to the Birthday Report 1 and Birthday Report 2 that I posted. Pretty good birthday, actually. :)
18. What is the ONE thing you thought you would not do, but did, in 2008?
I didn't think that I would go to the Draconis gaming convention in Montreal. I did, but in retrospect, it was a mistake on my part, as I wasn't physically up to it.
19. What have been your favourite moments?
Several game sessions of the Tales of the Arabian Nights board game. Watching some of the classic William Hartnell Doctor Who stories on DVD and getting that old feel of excitement that I had watching them when I was just a child. The Loreena McKennitt concert at Bluesfest. Several game sessions of the Desolation and Continuum: Roleplaying in the Yet rpg sessions. Getting a new bed, finally! A couple of other things that I'm not going to mention here.
20. What was your favorite moment of the year?
No real favourite moments this year.
21. What was your least favorite moment of the year?
Two of these. The moment when I saw there was sewage water seeping into my library and den. The moment when the ice chip hit me in the fact, and I thought that I was blind - right before falling down and breaking two toes.
22. Any new additions to your family?
23. What was your best month?
June and July, but that's not saying much.
24. What date in 2009 will remain etched in your memory?
December 27th, the night that I spent in the hospital after catching the ice chip in eye. I was wondering whether I'd see again properly out of that eye. A couple of other days that I don't want to talk about.
25. Who has been your best drinking buddy?
Nobody. I don't don't drink alcohol these days. Well, other than the Bailey's Irish Cream that I had on my birthday. :)
26. Made new friends?
Yep, I've made a couple of new friends this year. Several folks that I've met through Twitter A couple of other people that I know from LiveJournal and elsewhere.
27. Favourite night out?
A toss-up between going to dinner on my birthday and the Loreena McKennitt concert at Bluesfest.
28. Other than home, where did you spend most of your time?
Work and doctors offices, unfortunately. That refers to the latter, of course. :(
29. What songs will always remind you of 2009?
Juluka's The Best of Juluka CD. Thea Gilmore's Christmas CD, lots of Jethro Tull.
30. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I wish I had stayed a lot more healthy this year.
31. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Stressed out less. Eating food that is bad for me. Having accidents and the like where I've gotten hurt this past year.
32. Have you lost any friends this year?
I don't believe so.
33. Change your hairstyle?
Nope. Still balding, and getting balder. Adding more grey to my hair.
34. Have any car accidents?
35. How old did you turn this year?
36. Do you have a New Years resolution?
Oh, yes, definitely. I have a couple that I have made for this coming year. Hopefully I can keep them.
37. What countries did you visit?
Didn't go out of country at all in 2009.
38. Do anything embarrassing?
Other than being prone to stupid accidents this year? Nah...
39. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Got no real thoughts on this one for 2009.
40. Where did most of your money go?
Buying music CDs, Doctor Who DVDs, rpgs, replacement stuff for the house.
41. Buy anything from eBay?
Not a thing.
42. Get married or divorced?
Not that I know of. :)
43. Get hit on?
Yes. However, I'm not going to share any more details on this stuff.
44. Been snowboarding?
45. Did you get sick this year?
Nothing major in terms of actual illness, but a couple of colds here and there. Does having prostate problems count here?
46. Are you happy to see 2009 go?
Damn right I am. From the pov of the year of diabetes-related stuff this year, definitely want to see the end of the year, but I'm also looking forward to a new year and a clean slate, so to speak.
47. Been naughty or nice?
48. How will you be spending Christmas?
Next Christmas? No idea. Probably on my own, and then dinner with friends. But who knows what the year will bring, so can't predict the end of the year.
49. Which LJ users did you meet for the first time?
Can't actually remember if I met any... Oh, right, met hfiguiere and canrocker, and I think there may have been a couple of others as well at Draconis in Montreal and at CanGames. I think.
50. Did you fall in love in 2009?
51. How many one night stands?
Definitely not. Not really me.
52. What was your favorite TV show?
Hmm, I loved Defying Gravity despite all its problems, still enjoy Castle very much, but nothing else really comes to mind. And there is Doctor Who, of course. :)
53. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I try not to hate people, as that's a very negative emotion, although there are a few people I dislike or who drive me crazy. Takes too much energy to hate someone, and not worth the time and effort.
54. What was/were the best books you read?
Pretty much everything I read by Kage Baker and Charles Stross this year, Poseidon's Steed by Helen Scales, PhD (non-fiction science book), The Frost-Haired Vixen by John Zakour, and several other books.
55. What was your greatest musical discovery?
56. What was your favourite film this year?
No film really. Loved Expedition Africa. And some of the old Doctor Who serials.
57. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Business suits for work, t-shirts and slacks for home.
58. What kept you sane?
My friends, the music of Thea Gilmore and Jethro Tull, and reading books.
59. Which celebrity did you fancy the most?
Hmm, tough one... Nothing really happened here for me this year.
60. Which political issue stirred you the most?
Nothing political. News-wise, the one that got me was the woman who barely escaped death on a subway station platform (you can read the journal entry here, and see the video taken by others).
61. Did you treat somebody badly in 2009?
I hope not, but there are times when I'm not a nice person.
62. Did somebody treat you badly in 2009?
Not gonna answer this one.
63. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned this year.
Be careful about karma. It has a way of coming around.
64. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"And your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick" - Jethro Tull, Thick as a Brick
65. What are your plans for 2010?
Trying to eat healthy, lose some weight, and keep my diabetes under control. Deal with the medical problems I'm facing. Do a bit more fiction writing. Try to run a roleplaying game for a 3- to 6-month period of time. Not stress out so much.
66. What are you looking forward to most in 2010?
Nothing comes to mind, other than expanding my Doctor Who DVD collection! :)
As you can see, that was quite a long set of questions and answers. But a good indication of the basics of how 2009 was. Looking forward to 2010, for sure! :)