John Kahane (jkahane) wrote,
John Kahane

  • Mood:
  • Music:

Thursday From Hell

Thursday was a day that I'll remember for all the wrong reasons.

As noted yesterday, it was going to be another pretty stressful day with a doctor's appointment. Family doctor, this time. I left work, and went to the doctor's office for the appointment. He didn't want to address all that many issues that I had, so he concentrated on the diarrhea and the back pain issues. In case the diarrhea is being caused by the glumetza/metformin, he wants me to skip the pills for a period of roughly 6-8 days, and see what affect that has on the diarrhea. I'm not happy about this, and this a.m.'s blood sugar reading about 5:20 am confirmed this. I'll come back to this.

From the doctor's office, I went in to Kelsey's restaurant for lunch, and had a small bowl of broccoli and cheddar soup with a Philly cheesesteak sandwich au jus. I knew something was wrong after I finished lunch as it just wasn't sitting right.

From Kelsey's, I went over to the pharmacy to talk to the pharmacist. I'm still not convinced that the increase in diarrhea isn't being caused by the Glumetza, which may be regular metformin, but the pharmacist checked and assured me that the prescription is definitely the Glumetza. I can't say that I'm consoled by this fact, but I trust my pharmacist to get the prescriptions right, even if the two doctors (one, the family doctor and two, the diabetes specialist) screw the prescriptions up.

After leaving the pharmacist, I went over to the Ottawa General, and paid a visit to the Eye Institute Opticians, where I had my two new prescription pairs of glasses, one regular and one computer, made. It was while I was there that I started experiencing stomach and abdominal cramps. I didn't think much of it, other than that the lunch I ate at Kelsey's didn't go down well.

By this time, it was close to 4:30 pm, and I was feeling quite exhausted and somewhat pained with the abdominal stuff. I headed home, and figured I'd take a bit of a rest and lie down on my bed. I must have dozed off for an hour or so, but was woken up by abdominal pain. Suffice it to say, the rest of Thursday night was filled with abdominal and stomach cramps, and the occasional bout of diarrhea. The pain was quite severe at times, and ranged from just above the belly button down, but seemed to arch here and there and not seem to have a pattern to it. I didn't eat supper or take any of my diabetes pills, just having a bit of coca cola and some water over the course of the next few hours until around just after midnight. I had considered the possibility of going to the hospital several times last night, but in the end didn't. Part of this had to do that I wasn't about to go in an ambulance, as I didn't need anything else to go wrong with my back. The other part was: What are they going to be able to do for me? Make me sit in a waiting room or on a hospital guerney while they observe me for eight hours? So it was better to suffer and sometimes scream at home.

I woke this morning around 4:30 am, as in the middle of everything last night I hadn't set the alarm. I've been to the loo with some more of the diarrhea similar to that of last night, and am feeling somewhat better and no abdominal pain for the moment. ::knock on wood::
I took my blood glucose test, and the blood sugar was 13.4. Not good. I spent the next little while in bed, and called in sick for the day. I thought I might try to work from home today, but just feel seriously tired. I haven't decided whether I'm going to take my pills and eat breakfast or not, as I'm not really hungry. And that has me somewhat concerned, as I only feel that way when I'm down with something serious.

Just have to see how the day goes.
Tags: abdomen, appointment, diarrhea, doctor, health, pain, personal, stomach, thursday

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened