John Kahane (jkahane) wrote,
John Kahane

  • Mood:
  • Music:

State of JohnK (Not too Detailed), Part IV

Good morning, folks.

Yes, I am still alive and relatively well.

Yesterday, I went and had both an endoscopy and a colonoscopy, as most folks know, and you can read the previous day's notes about the hours before in this post, this post, and this post, respectively.

As noted in my last journal entry, I will not go into details about the procedures and all. So here's a basic summary, as far as my fractured memory allows for.

I arrived at the private clinic where the procedures were to be done about 20 minutes early, which was a good thing, as I had to go through the process of form filling and then talking to the nurses and anaesthesiologist about any potential problems and the like. Once I had the IV needle in my arm (a much better job than the one done at the hospital the night I went to emergency three weeks or so ago), I was somewhat calmer than before as I saw the doctor who told me what he planned to do, and one of the nurses who would assist went through the procedure with me. All I remember of the next period of time is a) the nurse spraying some anaesthetic into my throat to prep me for the endoscopy; b) waking up somewhat hazily during the c-scopy and seeing the interior of my intestines on the big screen; and c) waking up half an hour later back on the bed in the recovery room, covered up, and nice and cozy warm.

In the final analysis, the gastro specialist told me that he had removed a few polyps from my intestines that were going off to be analysed, but that my colon(s) was(were) good, but that the endoscopy had been more important, as it showed that I've got a wearing/rotting away of the base of my esophagus where it meets the stomach due to severe stomach acid. (I can't remember what the doctor called it, will have to find it on the papers that I have.) He prescribed a pill, Tecta, that I am to take twice a day, and has scheduled a second endoscopy in three months (June). He also took a few biopsies from my esophagus at various points, though I didn't learn this until a few hours ago.) Other than being a bit loopy from the anaesthetic and suffering all the effects that go along with having had the stuff for several hours, I felt relatively all right after having the two 'scopies. (They'd even given me a bit of medication for my back (bulging disc, remember?)).

I went home with my lift, and had some low-sugar apple juice and a piece of chalah with some Laughing Cow cheese on it before going to lie down for a while on my bed. After speaking to a friend of mine in California (hey, you! You know who you are! <g>), I fell asleep for close to two hours, and got woken by my mom, who said it was close to 6:30 pm. She took me over to Swiss Chalet for supper, where I had a small bowl of their corn chowder soup, a quarter chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and a small side salad, and half a slice of the red velvet cake they make. All washed down with plenty of water and my regular supper time dose of pills. Had a very nasty bowel movement that I'm not going into detail about while at the restaurant, but other than that, felt relatively good, though still obviously under the influence of the anaesthetic. Mom took me home after that, I was still pretty out of it, and I slept the night away, getting a good eight hours of sleep.

I woke up this morning about 8:30 am, and other than feeling achy and having some pain the chest (to be expected, after the endoscopy), I don't feel too badly. I'll see how the body reacts to the procedures and what my bowels do during the day, but otherwise I've got a little bit of pain and all. I took the bandage that they put over the spot where the IV was in on my left arm, and it doesn't look too bad. Have to wait and see how that heals.

In the meantime, I want some breakfast. :) I've also got a family doctor appointment at 3:15 pm this afternoon, and will try not to miss that, as he's going on vacation for the next two weeks.

Edited for a minor addition at 4:11 pm.
Tags: abdomen, colonoscopy, endoscopy, esophagus, food, health hut, personal, recovery report, results

  • Happy Birthday, bradleyclark_47

    Today is the birthday of one of my LJ friends, bradleyclark_47. Just want to wish Brad a Happy Birthday. May the Goddess bless you with…

  • Yesterday in the Hospital

    Okay, I'm going to start this blog entry by saying that I had a very bad night yesterday, after I got home from the hospital, but that it was an even…

  • Spoke to the Doctor, and...

    I am still pretty sick. Just spoke to my doctor about 10 minutes ago. He told me to get myself to the hospital, and why. Getting ready to go as…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened